Tekk News

Thursday, July 30, 2009

New GPS Chip for Mobile Devices

Well...son of a gun. Here I just upgraded to the iPhone 3GS...and this news breaks out. CSR has unveiled a new GPS architecture that it says will let portable devices be constantly location-aware without draining their batteries. It does this by using an "aware" state, which "keeps the necessary information to do a very fast calculation from the satellite [and is] alive all the time but in a very low micropower mode," he explained. This approach means the device's GPS does not need to be continually turned on and off to conserve power--hence the speed with which it can get a satellite fix. "The second thing we did is [to] put in a new technology which scans for all the noisy signals that interfere with GPS, and eliminates interferers before they can hit the GPS signal," Chadha said.

Well, looks like battery consumption won't be a problem for mobile devices and GPS's any longer, shame it came out so late in the game. But then again, this is new technology and only available in sample quantities for manufacturers, sooo, we probably won't have a working model in a phone for a couple of years. Just in time for me to upgrade to the next iPhone. Hehehe

Click Here To Read Original Article

posted at 5:26 PM by Tekk Guy | Permalink |

0 Comments:

About Me

Name: Tekk Guy
Country: United States




About Me: I'm that tech guy…you know the one. When things are broken, I fix them. When they don't make sense, I explain them. When nothing is getting done, I do it. When a void occurs, I fill it. When there is silence on the call, I state the necessary. I'm that guy in IT that is relied upon by the competent as the nth tier of support, overlooked by management, and despised by the slackers. An InfoTech professional, aficionado of all things technological. I've been getting my geek on full-time since 1993, and have worked with information technology in some capacity since 1997 including VB 4-6, ASP, .Net, SQL, Java, HTML, ColdFusion, VBS, JS, Crystal Reports, COGNOS and more. I've worked on global scale environments for Fortune 500 companies and as a software engineer for local government agencies. My expertise is in Visual Basic currently in the .Net flavor, and focuses on user applications. I am also currently active in the ASP.Net programming arena, specializing in DotNetNuke Module development, site creation, and administration. Stated simply, if you need to get information from a-to-z, I'm the guy you want to see.


See my complete profile

Archives

March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
September 2006
October 2006
January 2007
July 2009
August 2009
November 2009
February 2010
November 2010
April 2013

Recent Entries




Progamming Links

.Net Rocks!
GotDotNet




Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com